June 28, 2010

To blog or to microblog???

A web 2.0 technology that is a smaller version of a blog is a microblog.

A microblog is a collaborative instant messaging tool. It differs from email because several people can reply to a message, which creates a feed, that is visual to all the recipients instantly. It differs from a blog because most entries are short sentences, questions, images, or links. The messages are usually less than 200 words. The traditional microblog explains the location or action of a person. 

Microblogs are useful in the classroom because:
  • Students can pose a question for feedback
  • Students can offer different viewpoints to messages
  • Students can save their messages for future reference
  • Students can edit their writing
I set up a micoblog using this site, http://twiducate.com/home. This website was created by teachers and it reduces the distractions of ads and increases the privacy settings for a classroom. I created my class information. It was very simple and I cannot wait to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment